Sunday Setting Sights on Success Tip of the Day – Developing Team Chemisty
There is a common saying around baseball circles that states, “Hitting is contagious.” It seems like when one player gets hot with the bat, many players follow and the team goes on a nice offensive stretch. The same happens with team chemistry, once it gets started, many follow, and all have fun, which should be a top goal of youth baseball.
Good baseball coaches should set the stage for team chemistry with the following coaching tips.
Foster Team Chemistry
* Pair up different players for drills and skills competition so all players have a chance at success
* Discourage cliques and promote inclusion of all players in team activities – good coaches encourage players to try to include all players in team functions
* Encourage players to pull for each other – especially for struggling players
* Show enthusiasm through good and bad times – helping players learn to win and lose with class is a key to good coaching
* Gain players’ trust with fair treatment of all and with helpful game knowledge for all – good coaches do not coach selectively
* Lead by example, demonstrating the qualities of sportsmanship for players to see and follow – actions are as important as words
* Communicate honestly with players on and off the field – nothing gains respect more than honesty and it starts at the top
Finally, team chemistry is always a work in progress and begins with the coach. Those, who develop that team chemistry, create a season to remember.