Baseball Hitting Tips Infographic
Hitting a circular ball with a round bat, squarely and consistently, requires a great amount of baseball hitting practice. Nothing in sport requires better hand eye coordination and finely tuned mechanics as hitting a baseball. Pitched balls travel at amazingly fast speeds, with speed changes, along with movement that only finely tuned hitters are able to make the adjustments to hit. To attest to that difficulty, even the greatest hitters are successful much more than three out of every ten attempts.
Hitting success only comes when players are able to overcome the many physical and mental challenges. Following are the essential baseball hitting tips for success.
Fundamental Baseball Hitting Tips
- Correct set-up to home plate with athletic balance
- Even stance with head, shoulders, hips and eyes level
- Hands back, shoulder height and ready as when ready to punch
- Weight shifts back as pitcher begins delivery home, with the knob of bat pointing down
- Front foot leads forward movement with controlled, direct stride
- Eyes intensely tracking ball from pitcher’s hand to contact area
- Decision to swing or not is made
- Lead hand pulls knob end, back knee and foot begin rotation as hips open and weight transfers towards front side
- Back elbow stays close to body as it moves forward and as hands form a palm-up palm-down position to and through contact; wrists roll after complete arm extension
- Head is down and over back hip as hips fully rotate open and as bat finishes at shoulder level
Baseball Hitting Tips for the Mental Game of Hitting
- An acute understanding of the strike zone
- Intense concentration on the ball with confidence in self and swing
- A calm body so there is no panic and lunging at the oncoming ball, while having an aggressive mind to be ready and confident to explode the swing actions at the last second
- Continual and heightened awareness of ball speed, location and spin as it approaches
- Explosive physical and mental energy put into correct swing mechanics
With all the physical and mental challenges, there is no wonder that hitting a baseball is one of the most difficult things to do in sports, but continual adherence to these baseball-hitting tips will help hitters reach their potential.