Saturday Secrets to Great Baseball Coaching –
Coaching Youth Baseball “This is not the big leagues”
Let me repeat – the number one key to coaching youth baseball and something every youth coach must remember and repeat – “This is not the big leagues.”
Of course, there are many keys to coaching youth, with most of them involving building self-esteem, confidence, and skills. The following coaching tips do just that:
- Express the importance of each player’s contribution to the team’s success.
- Put players in situations where they have a good chance of success.
- Consistently teach the skills of the game and the strategy of baseball.
- Reward and encourage payers who display effort, dedication, and attention as much as those who display ability.
- Acknowledge players by name.
- Recognize signs of improvement, no matter how small.
Coaching youth baseball with the above suggestions has a dual purpose. Not only do kids benefit from solid coaching, coaches feel better about themselves by coaching youth baseball the right way.